Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday June 22 CORPUS CHRISTI OR THE BODY OF CHRIST

CORPUS CHRISTI OR THE BODY OF CHRIST

(A biblical reflection on the Solemnity of THE BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST – Sunday, 22 June 2014)
Gospel Reading: John 6:51-58
First Reading: Deuteronomy 8:2-3,14-16; Psalms: Psalm 147:12-15,19-20, Second Reading: 1Corinthians 10:16-17

5 ROTI DAN 2 IKANThe Scripture Text
“I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink His blood, you have no life in you; he who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.” (John 6:51-58 RSV)
One of the most pleasant and natural reasons for families and friends to gather together is to share a meal. This has been a universal custom since the beginning of history.
The ancient Hebrews, with their profound familial and religious practices, found many occasions to assemble around their sacred banquet tables. A very significant meal was the one to celebrate the Passover, which commemorated their deliverance from slavery.
Jesus and His apostles, faithful to their Jewish heritage, also observed the Passover each year. It was in conjunction with the Passover festival that Jesus initiated another sacred meal, the Last Supper. “Do this in memory of me” are solemn words which Christians have always observed, honoring and fulfilling the command of the Savior, given the night before He died. When we assemble at Mass, we celebrate and perpetuate this directive of Jesus, spoken at the original Holy Thursday meal.
5 LOAVES & 2 FISHThe feast of Corpus Christi, observed today, calls our attention to the dignity of the Last Supper and the precious heritage of the Lord’s presence in our midst when we gather in faith around His table. It is the body of the risen Lord which we receive, and we are humbly reminded of His eternal love for each of us. His power, wisdom and friendship come to us in the reception of the Bread of Life.
The Holy Eucharist helps the faithful to remember the good times of the past, but is much more than that. It is the real presence of the Risen Lord abiding with His people in His glorified body. It’s His unique way to be with us always.
1. Corpus Christi evokes memories from the Upper Room, the multiplication of the loaves, the manna in the desert and more. It’s a memorial of the past.
2. Corpus Christi speaks to the present. Jesus said, “I am the living bread.” That is, right now, today. Through my reception of the Living Bread, I am being strengthened this very moment.
3. Corpus Christi carries a future promise, an everlasting pledge: “Anyone who eats this bread will live forever.”
Short Prayer: Lord Jesus, I give my life to You by receiving Your precious body and blood in the depths of my heart. I give You the freedom to have Your way in every area of my life. Thank You for loving me and wanting to live within me. Amen.
Jakarta, 20 June, 2014

A Christian Pilgrim
achristianpilgrim | June 22, 2014 at 12:09 am | Tags: BREAD OF LIFECORPUS CHRISTIJESUS 

No comments: