Monday, June 7, 2021

A Great Book

Joyful in the Silence : The Making of a Casual American Contemplative Author- Marsha Sinetar The book, Joyful in the Silence-The Making of a Casual American Contemplative, the autobiography of Sinetar, is a very good read. I took away from the book three major points for reflection: 1. Our early years are formative for future events in our life. They cast their shadows. As one reads the story of Sinetar one can see life unfolding for her and we find ourselves circling back to our own life. 2. Sinetar says in the book “we deal with the hand we are dealt.” And she does. Her life seems, in the beginning, one of rich influence, of travel, support of parents and mentors but dwindles to one left to fend for herself. In many ways, this story reminds me of “The boys in the Boat” by Daniel James Brown. Both Sinetar and Joe Rantz had to stand on their own two feet and to make choices that proved successful. 3. The big question in anyone’s life is how do we find God. for Sinetar that question was with her from the very beginning of her early years and never left her. It seemed to me she continued to ask that question throughout the book,” how does God get in through the cracks of our life. “ I pondered her life and my own. It is worth all the time I spent reading this book. I give the book a 12.

No comments: